Small village located in the northwest of the province of Ourense and capital of the municipality.

The jewel of this village is the Monastery of Oseira.

The municipality is known for its exquisite artisan bread, which has its exaltation festival on the first Sunday of July. It is a product with Designation of Origin and one of the most highly prized breads in Galicia.

As far as Cea bread is concerned, it is a traditional product, made in a wood-fired oven following a traditional process that has been handed down from generation to generation and has been made in the ovens of Cea since the 13th century. There are many ovens in Cea and the surrounding area, 16 of which belong to the Protected Geographical Indication and produce this highly prized product. There are also old ovens, many of which have been restored by the Town Council of San Cristovo de Cea. Nowadays all the ovens are perfectly signposted and at all the entrances.


Take a ball of its famous bread with you.

If you like nature, be sure to visit Pena Veidosa (10km, 470m of positive difference in altitude).

Visit the Monastery of Oseira (9km):

In its beginnings it was a Benedictine Abbey although it soon joined the Cistercian Order in 1141. It received numerous privileges and royal and private donations.

After the general crisis of the 15th and 16th centuries, it was incorporated into the General Congregation of Castile in 1545.

In 1552 the monastery suffered a great fire that affected the entire complex, with the exception of the church and some chapels.

After the exclaustration of 1835 and the consequent looting and destruction, it was inhabited again by the Cistercian monks of Estrecha Observancia in 1929, who proceeded to restore the monastery as it was in ruins.

Its construction spanned several centuries and different styles, from the Romanesque in the 12th century to the Baroque in the 13th century and the Renaissance in the 13th century. Its construction began in the second half of the 12th century, although the church was completed in the 13th century.

The sacristy, the Bishops’ staircase and the Pinnacles courtyard date from the 15th-16th centuries.

The cloisters of the Knights and Medallions are Baroque in style.

The Grand Staircase of Honour and the library stand out.

In the church, the 18th century altarpieces stand out.

Nearby places:


Nearby QRs:

Pena Veidosa




Websites of interest:



Skip to content